Supporting Weight Loss With Supplements
How do I incorporate supplements into my weight loss routine?
When it comes to fat loss, a common phrase is “abs are made in the kitchen.”
While it’s true that what you eat has more of an effect on fat loss than exercise, using them in combination will help your body burn the necessary calories (before AND after exercise) to reach your fat loss goals. Exercise has even shown the effect of making individuals reach fullness more quickly when eating, on average.
In order to burn fat you must, as alluded to, burn more calories than your body takes in. This is not as simple as it sounds. Your body has complex physiological systems to burn and retain calories. Whatever diet you choose along with an exercise plan to help you get there should include some form of restriction either in: time (some AM or PM fasting), diet (keto, vegan, paleo, etc.), or calories (counting or tracking).
It is also important to note that if you wish to burn fat preferentially as opposed to just weight (which can mean muscle loss) you must maintain a high protein diet and resistance train regularly.
In addition, these dietary supplements can help you reach your fat loss goals faster:
- Caffeine: everyone’s favorite morning pick-me-up can stimulate the nervous system and help the body burn calories more efficiently!
- Green tea extract: can help you lose fat with the power of catechins and antioxidants which cause fat cells to release energy (meaning they will shrink).
- CLA: is one of the few non-stimulants on this list. It suppresses appetite, supports weight loss, and helps individuals retain lean muscle mass.
- L-Carnitine: helps the body move more fatty acids into your cells to be burned for energy.
- Yohimbe: extracted from an African plant, this molecule accelerates fat loss, especially when it comes to stubborn fat. Yohimbe is best used in a fasted state (like before fasted cardio).
- Hoodia Gordonii: this dessert plant is a powerful appetite suppressant.
- Dandelion extract: improves digestion and reduces fat absorption.
- B vitamins, including B6 and B12: assist the production of cellular energy and the metabolism of food.
So, in addition to a reasonable diet and exercise plan, consider supplementation to help you burn more body fat by keeping you fuller, accelerating metabolism, and shrinking fat cells.